Month: September 2016

This last couple of weeks Alan has been trying to

slow our speedy mortgage pay off by attacking ds right and left. It didn’t work though because our family tree has definitely changed over the last several years.

In the past if ds hit a financial snag or two we would have rushed in with credit cards a blazing, or the very least with our checkbook. But ds has walked this path with us, and has in fact helped us along the way.

So when he had to have emergency dental work to the tune of $2,000 plus what his insurance paid, he was able to cover it with his emergency fund and the dental coverage he now carries.

Before he recovered from that financial blow all 3 u joints on his truck went out and the tail gate latch broke again (cheap plastic parts on that latch). He now has the knowledge to ask for after market parts for the u joints, so that brought the price down over $250, to a little over $300, which happened to be just about the price of the electric bill he needed to pay.

Surprise, surprise the meter deposit on the electric bill was refunded for more than the current bill, so there was his u joint money. The tail gate was covered because ds thought ahead when he bought the last one and got two. 15 minutes of his time and the tailgate is working again.

So ds came out of it all free and clear.

Where dh and I are concerned we spent the last two weeks working on major decisions about our fifth wheel and our future travel plans. We were trying to decide on whether to keep the paid for one we have and do the necessary repairs and updates on it, or to trade it in and add that repair money to the trade in for a newer in good condition one, or to outright sell it and motel stay.

After kicking the ideas around for actually several months now we finally set down and put pen to paper on the first 2 thoughts. A quick NADA check shows the book value to only be around $6000, before we were half way through the list of the things we would like done or added it came to over $8,000. It doesn’t take a genius to figure out that was a no go.

Since it will be next spring before we hit the road full time we have decided to test run motel staying between now and then to see how that works out for us.

Our fiver is nearly 16 years old and some campgrounds won’t let anything over 10 years old stay there.

At the same time we will get trailer ready for either trade in or sale and keep our eyes open for a good upgrade that we can pay the cash for. Should we decide we want to continue to camp.

So it has been a very financially busy couple of weeks around here, but it has all worked out well.

Posted by marasacil